Friday, December 16, 2016

Italy is Alive




When I left for Europe in September, I had at least two and half months planned out. I knew where I would be, I knew where I would be sleeping, and I knew when I would be flying home. Not long after arriving and spending my first few nights in a hostel did I realize that Europe is made for the unplanned traveler. Since I was alone, I was allowed to change my mind. So on a whim, I booked myself a ticket to Rome. I had never planned on visiting Italy when I initially arrived in France, but the $30 ticket was all the convincing I needed. Thank you Ryanair. 


I look back on my time in Italy and I think of what most people do: The food, the music and the ancient ruins, the shots of limoncello shared with friends and serenading street musicians in the moonlight. It was these tangible things that earned a picture in my iPhone gallery, but individually they in no way create what Italy actually became for me. There are the experiences that could be tasted and touched and listened to - yet there is something about Italy that I struggle to put to words, because how do you describe a place that is also alive and breathing and whispering? It sounds crazy, but only when I sum up the whole of these experiences can I even start to put it to words.



Italy became a living creature in my mind, a character that dazzled and brought together people from all backgrounds. Italy became the voice in my ear encouraging me to put my inhibitions aside, surrender my constant need to control my experiences - and let Italy intervene the only way it knows how. It became more alive with each passing day, as I continued to unravel the place through my explorations down the busy streets.  




Italy introduced me to people from home and people from places I have never imagined traveling to - until now. Humans from Egypt, Utah, Iran, New York, Canada, Israel, Argentina and many more. Rome became the setting of a massive powwow as we convened in The Yellow bar across the street from the hostel every night to dance, to sing and to feast our ears on each other’s stories. I shared joy with fellow travelers after knocking on their door and joined an impromptu dance party. I shared fear with another traveler as we boarded a train in Naples and witnessed several robberies. Most importantly I shared a newfound love and understanding for a country with all of these travelers.


Mahzad, Iran

Melinda, Canada

Jaida, USA

Italy is like a reel, and as I spin it in my mind, the images of the place surface and I feel the same emotions that I felt when I was there. The anxiety, the fear, the love, the excitement, all heightened with each sweet taste of gelato or with every glance up at the ceilings in Vatican City.





Italy was an ethereal whirlwind, and I look forward to returning one day with enough money to finally tour the Tuscany wineries. Until then, arrivederci!



Also - here's a picture of me chillin' in the garden of the Roman Forum. 

1 comment:

  1. Ciao Tasia, love your post! The photographs and the writing both really make me want to go back soon!

    ReplyDelete